Extra photos for bloggers: 1, 2, 3
Pet rocks were the best: your mom didn’t get mad at you if you forgot to feed them, they didn’t chew on your favorite sneakers, and they didn’t need to be house-trained.
What’s just as easy to handle and shows off your favorite snaps?
Why, stone photo holders of course!
Yup, stones aren’t just for throwing, skipping, or keeping as pets—they also help make some rad photo holders.
Your ol’ pebble pets are getting upgraded to photo rock star status with this easy DIY.
p.s. The first Hey, Hot Shot! competition of 2012 is open. Get your hot shots in by March 14th to win over $10K in prizes!
Why This Rocks
Why should frames be your default displaying option? These photo holders are one-of-a-kind, and they make it super easy to switch photos in and out.
They’d also make sweet & simple gifts to your best photo pals.
- Medium-sized stones
- Green, cloth-covered florist wire sticks (we got ours at Michaels)
- Wire cutters
- Something cylindrical to bend wire into a round, coil shape—we used a glue pen
- The awesome photos you want to display
STEP 1: Rock Rinse
Give them a good rinse with water & lay them out to dry.
While you’re waiting for them to dry, think of cool names for your new mineral buddies. We’ve got Ferdinand, Maximilliano, & Ted so far.
STEP 2: Wire Wrap
First, bend one end of the wire around the bottom of one of your stones.
Then, twist that end up & around to meet with the rest of the wire on the other side of the stone.
Make sure the wire is wrapped as tightly as you can get around the stone so it doesn’t slip off the stone.
Note: Floral wire is pretty flexible, but if you’re having some trouble wrapping n’ bending, some flat-nosed pliers will help ya out.
STEP 3: Snippin’ Time
If you find this wire to be too tall, use the wire cutters to snip off wire until you get the height you want for your photo holders.
STEP 4: Do the Coil
STEP 5: Put a Photo in It
Ta-da! You’ve just made one awesome photo holder.
Repeat the steps above to your other stones to add to your collection of photo-holding stone stars.
Keep Rocking On
- Think your stone photo holders could use some more pizazz? Decorate them with paint and/or paint pens to jazz ‘em up to your liking.
- Stones aren’t the only objects you can wrap wire around to make photo holders! We made with a seashell and a glass bottle, as shown above.
- Stick the wires in an old branch to make a branch photo holder—another lovely, natural option to stones.
- Spools & wooden blocks also make some neat bases for DIY photo holders!
This crafty DIY is the brainchild of Danny Seo! See the original tutorial here.