Your Bike? Awesome. Your Camera? Awesome. You Thinking what We’re Thinking?
The smell of the road, the wind at your back, infinity miles per gallon…
Riding your bike sure is sweet. But you know what would make it even sweeter? The tried-and-tested, make-it-yourself, $10 + 10 minutes Photojojo BikeCam!
Just don’t assemble it while moving. And stop at all red lights. And stop signs. And use your hand signals. And wear a helmet, for pete’s sake. Your brain’s in there.
Read on to find out how…
p.s. WeSay is running a photo contest — submit election-related photos by the end of the week and they’ll be featured on the homepage of their national website. The winner’s photo will be shown as the ‘hero shot’! Submit your entry on WeSay.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why It’s Cool
Cameras are cool and bikes are cool, and the two together are downright freezing. Plus, the Tour de France is in full swing. It’s the season of the bike!
What You’ll Need
- Camera (smaller is better)
- A reflector mount, reflector removed (ask at your local, loving bike shop)
- Rubber shims for reflector mount (a shim is the small rubber strip that fits inside the round part of the mount)
- 2″x1/4″x20 thread screw
- Nut for said screw
- 1/4″ wing nut
- 1/4″ metal washer
- Two 1/4″ rubber washers (these work best if flat, as in not an o-ring)
- Helmet (remember: brains)
Step 1: The Mount
Next, fit the mount around the handlebars toward the middle, where the stem meets the handlebars.
Screw the mount shut.
Step 2: The Screw
Step 3: The Stack, Part 1
Step 4: The Stack, Part 2
Step 5: The Camera
Wear your helmet. Start pedaling. Snap, record, repeat!
p.s. This mount is pretty secure, and we take full responsibility for any fun times and awesome photos taken while using it.
Your camera can now boldly go wherever your bike goes! Here are some ideas…
- Cross a bridge or head down a single-track mountain bike trail
- Weave through rush hour traffic (Market St in SF? Times Square in NYC?) Use the video mode on your camera for some great action videos.
- Attach your bike to your car (or a bus, if you’re in the city) and hit record!
- Does Critical Mass ride in your city? DO NOT forget your bike cam on the next ride!
- Turn the camera to face you and pretend you’re in the Tour.
- Ride through the scariest neighborhood in town. Fast. At 4 in the morning.
But, Can’t I Just Buy One?
If the do-it-yourself spirit hasn’t moved you and you just want to buy a mount, give the all-purpose Gorillapod a shake. Wrap it around the stem, handlebars, top tube. Coolest thing about it as a bike mount: its articulated head makes it easy to pan.
See it in action!
Music: Young Folks by Peter Bjorn and John