Extra photos for bloggers: 1, 2, 3
What’s your photo sign? Black and white? Maybe you’re a die-hard Fuji fan. Or it’s Kodak Portra that really makes you swoon.
This DIY film canister bracelet will tell your new photo friends what your favorites are! They won’t even have to ask.
With a little plying, you’ll be able to recycle your film canisters into jelly-worthy cuffs.
We can see it now. New friendships blooming over your shared love of grain!
p.s. Having trouble finding time to learn more about photography in your packed scheddy? Check out our pals at the New York Institute of Photography! They have primo classes you can take from anywhere on your own time.
Why it’s cool:
We all love to show our pride for our favorite things in life, and this film canister bangle is a great way to do just that.
It’s super simple and customizable. Whether you’re a diehard black & white fan ready to ditch your color vision, or a slide film lover who isn’t willing to wear a shirt that’s a transparency, this film bangle is an awesome way to show off your favorite film.
- Two Empty Film Canisters
- A Can Opener
- Super glue or other effective adhesive
- A ruler or straight edge
STEP 1: Popping The Ends Off The Canister
Step 2: Spread The Canister Out
Step 3: Fold In The Edge
First, take your pliers and fold in the edge along the entire length and on either side. You don’t want to cover up what your canister looks like, so only do this for a thin strip. It should fold in to an angle just past 90 degrees.
Step 4: Press Down The Edge
Take your pliers and clamp down on the edge so that it’s nice and flat. Do this along the entire length and on either side.
Step 5: Stick them together
You’re done! Go rock the look.
Take It Further
- Make a belt: use a bunch of canisters to make a canister belt!
- Make a braided bracelet: cut the canisters into snips and try to weave them together!
- Make a charm bracelet: cut the canister into small pieces and make little charms to string together. One for each type of film!
- Make a USB Film Roll: It’s a USB stick inside a film canister!
- Make a Film Roll Magnet: stick those to-do lists on the fridge with your favorite film canisters!